May 23, 2011

Bits of My Weeked : Pop Culture Afternoon


Two weeks ago, I discovered a newly-renovated bridge from Vivo City that leads you all the way to the Sentosa gateway. I casually mentioned this over dinner on Friday during one of the monthly meet-ups I have with the girls.

BIG MISTAKE.

The next thing I knew, we were casually strolling to the island with no plans in mind -- and it was just a mere 80 minutes away from the stroke of midnight, mind you. The place was deserted except for some bakeries and restaurants which were opened 24/7. Before a unanimous 'WTF were we thinking?' feeling sank into our little heads, we decided to turn it into a little adventure, pretending to be lost tourists (Well actually, we were really lost -- it was DARK) ooh-ing and aah-ing at every novelty items, monuments and statues.

After walking around aimlessly for about half an hour and confirming that there was no where else to go, we finally rested our exhausted butts and limbs at the nearby coffee joint. The spontaneity of that moment made me smile. It kinda makes you realise that sometimes doing something out of the ordinary can make a simple day seem extraordinary... :) (More photos from our little adventure can be found at Sharmilee's blog)

The same goes for my weekend when my husband and I decided to abandon the couch for an impromptu trip to town. The catch was, we were to not spend any money seeing that we have already busted our budget this month. We took a long bus ride instead of the cab and train, went for fast food instead of a bistro or a steakhouse and resisted any temptation to spend when we frequented our usual book and music stores.  I know its nothing much, I'm not claiming it to be - but at the end of the day, we felt pretty proud of ourselves. Taking control of things, even as trivial as not spending that extra $10 do give you a sense of fulfillment and best thing yet, you still have fun in the process. So what's not to like?!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...